A Texas house fire claimed the life of a family dog and displaced the homeowners this past Monday, 12News Now reports.
On Dec. 11 at around 9:00 a.m., firefighters from the Beech Grove Volunteer Fire Department (BGVFD) arrived at the burning mobile home in Jasper, owned by the Weaver family. Immediately, they began battling the blaze before the Jasper Volunteer Fire Department and Tri-Community Fire Department joined in to assist.
Tragically, responders discovered the remains of the family’s dog after containing the fire.
According to BGVFD Fire Chief James Gunter, the family had two dogs. Both of the canines were in the house at the time of the blaze. No one else was home. Thankfully, one of the dogs managed to sneak out of the burning structure.
It’s believed that a wood heater sparked the fire. Jade Weaver told authorities she set up a wood heater that morning before leaving the house to escort her two kids to school. Upon her return, she found their home engulfed in flames.
Fundraiser, donations for the Weaver family
Evidently, investigators ruled the blaze as accidental. Unfortunately, the Weaver family now has to start from scratch since they hadn’t insured their property.
According to Fire Chief Gunter, the Weavers lost all their cherished possessions, including the Christmas presents they recently purchased.
To help the displaced family get back on their feet, the BGVFD announced they will team up with a local church, the Beech Grove Baptist Church. The Weavers are members of the congregation there. Together, the two organizations will hold a fundraiser for the family. As such, the fundraising event is scheduled to take place Saturday, Dec. 16.
In addition, the BGVFD is asking well-wishers to bring cash and material donations, such as clothes and dog food, to their fire station to help support the grieving family.