A dog impaled itself on a stick during a walk in the woods of Massachusetts and later died. Initially, Winchester police thought the dog had been shot. Further investigation showed otherwise.
Police initially thought dog impaled by stick had been shot
According to Boston 25 News, a dog parent was walking with their off-leash dog in the wooded area off Sussex Road. The dog parent heard a gunshot. Shortly thereafter, they found their wounded dog. Then, while speaking with a concerned neighbor about 15-20 minutes later, the dog parent heard another gunshot. The dog died from its injuries, though it’s unclear where and where.
Winchester Police arrived on the scene and searched the town forest for over two hours. Also, they recruited the Massachusetts State Police to assist with a ballistic K9. Finally, police monitored the location of the alleged shooting overnight.
However, all this effort looking for a shooter was for naught. That’s because an autopsy of the dog revealed a 9-millimeter stick stuck in the canine’s left lung.
It is now clear that the dog impaled themself on a stick. Then, according to Boston 25 News, the stick “lacerated the great vessel of the thorax and suffered a pneumothorax.” In simpler terms, the stick cut a major blood vessel in the chest, resulting in a collapsed lung.
Dog-walking safety tips
Tragic accidents like this one are preventable. When taking your furry friend for a walk in wooded areas, here are a few key tips to ensure their safety.
First and foremost, always leash your dog. In wooded areas, there are many distractions. A leash helps you maintain control and prevents your pup from running off or getting lost.
Secondly, be mindful of the environment and its inherent hazards. Keep an eye out for potentially harmful plants or critters, like poison ivy or ticks, and steer your dog away from them.
Finally, watch out for sticks. This is a safety threat dog parents often overlook. While dogs love to play with sticks, they can pose risks. Make sure the sticks are smooth, without sharp edges, to prevent mouth injuries. Always supervise stick play to avoid accidents. It’s also a good idea to carry your own dog-friendly toys to redirect your fur baby’s attention if necessary.
Taking a few simple precautions will ensure your dog enjoys a safe and fun adventure in the great outdoors.